Carpets contend with a lot more than other furnishings in our home â€“ they're the work horses of interior design! They're stepped on, skidded across, and have food, mud and all sorts spilt on themâ€¦. With that in mind when is it time to wave farewell to your trusted carpet and look for a replacement?
Well the simple answer isâ€¦ there is no simple answer. It's dependent on many contributing factors including:
- How many people live in the house
- What material is it made from?
- Is it in an area of high traffic (e.g. The hallway)
- Do you have children/pets?
- How often have you cleaned and maintained it?
- What level of quality is it?
Bearing the above in mind, professionals generally recommend changing your carpet every 6-8 years for the average household of 2-4 people. That can be greatly extended by looking after your carpet appropriately by doing the following:
- Vacuum regularly, at least once a week. High traffic areas should be attended more frequently (every 3 days or so) to extend their lifespan.
- Clean up spills as soon as they happen so they don't get to soak in. Be sure to dab at stain to avoid spreading it around.
- Get all carpets professionally cleaned one a year. You can hire the equipment and complete the job yourself, or if you prefer get a company to do it for you.
- Use stain remover if necessary, and double check the best way to treat a particular stain.
- When choosing a carpet it pays in the long run to go for higher quality â€“ this could be the difference between carpets that lasts for 15 years instead of 5.
- Get into good habits such as wiping your feet on a mat before entering from outside or removing shoes.
- Change foot traffic by altering the layout. As we know areas which are heavily used are more likely to see damage, moving furniture can help to lessen this.
- Avoid excess exposure to sunlight by having suitable window dressings.